Director, Greater New Orleans Regional Small Business Development Center
Carmen Sunda is the director of the Louisiana Small Business Development Center for the Greater New Orleans region. The SBDC is a collaborative partnership between Loyola University, the University of New Orleans, Southern University at New Orleans and the South Louisiana Economic Council. Post-Katrina, the SBDC has assisted thousands of small businesses in developing new business models and delivered over $50M of loan packages to local area lenders. The SBDC provides numerous opportunities for internships as well as class projects for undergraduates and graduate students.
As director, responsible for the ten-parish regional SBDC, Sunda assists and advises a diversified group of business owners. She manages a team of independent contractors, small business consultants, graduate assistants, students and interns, as well as manages the SBDC business assistance resources of collaborative partners while growing the SBDC resource partner network. She is focused on rebuilding the small businesses of the Greater New Orleans Region in a post-Katrina economy using her expertise in small business disaster preparedness and recovery.
Prior to the SBDC, Sunda owned and managed a small business consulting firm for 20 years. Her business clients included automotive aftermarket services, franchises, educational institutions, a variety of retail and wholesale businesses, real estate / construction management, architectural and engineering, light manufacturing, oil field services, and a variety of professional services including medical, accounting, and legal.
Notable past and present projects include:
- Developing a feasibility study for a resort development in St. Mary Parish
- Creating and Implementing monthly customer service satisfaction program for collision and auto repair centers. Creating marketing plans\financial packages that result in successful funding of business start-ups and expansions
- Audience research for an independent TV station
- Developing a strategic marketing plan for the University of New Orleans College of Business
- Feasibility Research and Promotional Strategies for The Rig Museum (Morgan City)